During the revolution, the chapel, sold as National Land, was purchased by one sir THOUVENIN de Grand who retroceded it to four people of
Goussaincourt. It was difficult for them to be heard in order to do the necessities in the conservation of the chapel of Bermont, the ruin of which was becoming imminent.
It is then that Jean Baptiste SAINSERE of Vaucouleurs, 1771-1848, undertook, in 1835, to redeem it, in order to restore it and to preserve it in our country. He had built, to the side, a residence that he inhabited from 1835 to 1848. Upon his grave, it is inscribed
that he was "the restorer of that chapel which, following the tradition confirmed by history, is very truly the one in which Jeanne d'Arc received the inspirations that urged her to devote herself to the service of her homeland."
During the years 1875 and following, Mgr Dupanloup, Bishop of Orleans, and Madame de Chevreuse were interested in the cradle of Jeanne d'Arc, and wanted to erect a national monument in her honor. The Oak-Woods and Bermont were both put forward as possible sites. The Bishop of Orleans and the duchess of Chevreuse leaned towards Bermont.